- The inquirer should send a copy of their proposed Constitution and By-laws to the NPJS Executive Office for review and feedback to ensure it complies with the NPJS Constitution and By-laws.
- The office will review the submitted documents and/or distribute copies to the NPJS Critical Issues and Policy Direction Committee for assistance in reviewing.
- The office will then return comments as needed to improve each document to the inquirer. If the original draft complies with the NPJS document requirements, the office will convey such to the inquirer.
- The inquirer will then be instructed to submit a cover letter addressed to NPJS asking that their organization be considered for official approval by NPJS. Attachments to the letter should include three copies of the following items:
- Their Constitution and By-laws;
- Listing of their officers with names and signatures, titles in the chapter, addresses for contacts, (business or home), telephone, fax and e-mail addresses;
- Official contact person and address for receipt of correspondence;
- Beginning and ending dates/terms of the officers;
- A check in the amount of the organization’s chosen affiliate membership category. Membership will be renewable annually and checks should be made payable to NPJS.
- Upon receipt of the above letter and attached material, the Executive Office will present such to the NPJS Critical Issues and Policy Direction Committee for consideration at its next meeting.
- At its next meeting, the NPJS Critical Issues and Policy Direction Committee will consider the request and, if approved, will submit it for official adoption by the NPJS Executive Board at its next meeting.
- The NPJS Executive Board will act on the submission, approve the application and notify verbally and in writing the organization of its action.
- The new affiliate organization will then become an official member with voting privileges at future meetings of the NPJS Executive Board.
- NPJS Executive Office staff will add the new Affiliate Chapter to its official roster and include it in all future mailings or business activities of the Partnership.
- NPJS Executive Office staff will notify the Affiliate Chapter when its annual renewal fee is due and request a current listing of officers.
- The State Affiliate Chapter will be encouraged to:
- Contact an attorney to explore filing Articles of Incorporation (and future 501(C) 3 tax status) with its Secretary of State which will enable collection of membership dues from individuals, organizations and others to raise funds to support Chapter activities;
- Submit articles describing its activities for highlighting in NPJS publications;
- Respond to NPJS requests for feedback regarding proposed Position Statements, Resolutions and other business matters;
- Submit in person or in writing suggestions for Position Statements, Resolutions or any other items thought to need action by NPJS;
- Seek new members for the Affiliate Chapter and the NPJS;
- Inform others of their Affiliate Chapter activities as well as the activities of NPJS;
- Become actively involved in NPJS’ activities; and
- Participate in annual training events and conferences.
Affiliate Categories and Benefits
Affiliate – General
New Fee $250 • Renewal Fee $250
- Affiliate Membership Allows Up To Three (3) Individuals to Receive Individual Member Benefits (individual names must be provided upon submission of membership application or renewal; not transferrable during the membership year)
- Voting Privilege on NPJS Board of Directors (1 vote per affiliate)
- New Member Welcome on NPJS Facebook
- New Affiliate Chapters Get One (1) Free Training Video (of their choice)
- Reduced Symposium/Training Rates (for all active members of that State or National Organization)
- Affiliate Chapter Website Link on the NPJS Website
- Copies of New and Existing Position Statements (hard copy and online)
- Subscription to Inside Justice (monthly e-newsletter)
- Invitation to Apply for Call-for-Proposals to Present Workshop at NPJS Symposium
- Complimentary Subscription to Youth Today (to President of Affiliate Chapter)
Affiliate – Plus
New Fee $500 • Renewal Fee $500
- All the Benefits of Affiliate – General; along with ~
- Affiliate Chapter President (or designee’s) Registration Fee Waived at the National Symposium on Juvenile Services
- Discount for E- Learning Academy Courses
- Affiliate President Receives Invitation & Paid Expenses to ACA Forum on Juvenile Detention and Corrections (final selection at determination of ACA; the event is not held annually)
- Ability to Post Jobs in the NPJS Job Bank (free of charge; $25 fee to all others)
- 1 Free Copy of Each New Video/Publication
Affiliate – Plus
New Fee $800 • Renewal Fee $800
- All the Benefits of Affiliate – Plus; along with ~
- One Training Service (trainer at state conference, curriculum development project, etc.) Provided by NPJS/NC4YC Mutual Aid Pool